Growing Through the Holy Spirit

"No matter how many good friends I had, there were aspects of my life I needed to deal with alone - heart issues and attitudes that could not be wrestled with in a Bible study...They had to be confronted by the Holy Spirit in the privacy of my own soul."
~ "A Glimpse of Grace" by Mary Forsythe (with Beth Clark)~


This quote represents what I am going through right now. My husband has been working out of town a lot this winter. His current trip was only suppose to be 3 weeks long, but it has turned into 6 weeks so far. Some days, I get to feeling sorry for myself. My husband isn't here to help with things and I don't have transportation for going to church. I let feelings of loneliness set it. But, then I usually remember that this is just the way things are right now and I need to make the best of it. I need to be a good example for my children, too.

Now, that I look back on all of this time spent without my husband or church friends, I realize how much closer I have been growing to Jesus. When I feel concerned or anxious about something, I now find myself praying about it. When my husband was here all the time, it was easy for me to unload on him instead of turning to Jesus. With more alone time, I've been able to - listen to sermons online, worship in private, pray, read the Bible, and read Christian blogs. Through loneliness, The Lord has brought me closer to Him. I've learned about forgiveness, trusting Him, being content, surrendering to Him, appreciating what I have, loving my family better, serving Him from my home, and following His will for my life on a daily basis. During this time, the Holy Spirit has taught me things that He wanted me to learn.

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him" but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit. 1 Corinthians 2:9-10

Tuesdays in Other Words Meme

17 comments:

Joyce said...

Those were very sincere and heartfelt feelings you shared. Lonliness is so overwhelming at times that it can cause us to feel sorry for ourselves. It is good when we recognize things we are taking into our hearts that don't need to be there. Not that there were not good reasons for it happening.....you just can't let it consume you or overtake you. That is how bitterness and resentment sets in.

It's good that you have found some other "Sources" to feed yourself with and to sustain you during these times of isolation from your church family and friends.

God does always provide doesn't He?
I love that. Plus.....HE really is a husband to us isn't He? I've learned that as well. I have a good husband, a great one in fact.....but God is a better one.
It's all good!
Thanks for sharing.....
Joyce

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, Shari. And thank you for sharing your insights and personal struggle with us through this reflection. God is good to take the things that hurt and refashion them into times that bring joy, healing and grace into our existence. You are a blessing. I will be praying for you as you continue to seek Him!

Hazel said...

hi, do have a nice day

Vashonnte said...

wow Shari that is beautiful! You are so positive and inspirational, I love how you take one thing and turn it into something absolutely wonderful! I hope your husband comes home soon to see his more spiritual wife and I'm sure he too will be inspired by you and the power you have to turn something not so great into something amazing! God works in such unexpected ways and it is so beautiful!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, bless you.

Karen said...

I like your scripture reference at the end. Thanks for sharing your heart today.

lori said...

It's funny how HE does these things to HELP us grow. Things that at first glance can't seem "good." THEN He grows us through them in ways we can't imagine....

Isn't that cool!
peace and blessings!
lori

Miriam Pauline said...

(((hugs))) been there and (sometimes) doing that. Lonliness can be a blessing or a thorn depending on how we view it. Bless you for sharing.

twinklemom said...

*Hugs* Dear Sister, will keep you and your family in my prayers...It's very daunting when we get use to the comfort of having our spouse's prescence there and then suddenly have that alone time; Thank Heavens We have our Heavenly Father who draws us closer when our husband's aren't there..

*Hugs* What a very touching and dear post, it reminds how I find myself keeping extra busy in times like that!

Tonya said...

It's a GREAT thing that you've chosen to let the LORD be your COMFORTER. I've been in those places where I've felt alone. Sometimes I still do. You're looking in the right place for what you need. HANG IN THERE, Sister! =-)

Oh, I LOVE the scripture you shared!

Lana G! said...

Wonderful take on the quote! It has been great to see what everyone has taken from it.

A "personal" relationship with the father means just that! What he wants you to learn directly from Him! Beautiful!

Kelley said...

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words on my blog this morning. You have a beautiful place here! I love all the color!! I am sure it is difficult having your husband away so much but what a great way to learn that Jesus is our All in ALL!

Blessings to YOU~~Kelley

Camille said...

Your strength is truly inspiring. I don't know how you do it without being able to get out and have a bit of a break. Bless your heart!! I hope he gets home soon!!

Margaret Braun said...

Praise God! Often we don't understand why God does the things He does, but He has a purpose for each one to bring us closer to Him.

Shannon said...

I went through a difficult season when we moved out West a few years ago. One of my biggest realizations during that time was that, although my husband was wonderful, God was the ONLY ONE who could fill all my needs.

And I agree with you that when we experience discomfort is when we're most likely to change and mature as Christians because it forces us to rely on Christ.

Thank you for such a lovely, heart-felt post.

Christina said...

Great way to use your time alone. My husband is in the Army so I know what time away from him is like. I do the same thing. Read Christian material, pray, study the Bible more, etc. It makes the time go quicker and helps me stay closer to Jesus.

Tracy Berta-daughter to the King, wife, mother, speaker, writer said...

Beautiful post, Shari!

I know exactly what you are talking about. God has often called me to "stay home" with Him- alone with Him. And, now, when I fall into busyness in my life, He will again call me to "stay home" and let Him fill me with all that He is. I need to get rid of everything and just sit at His feet.

Thank you for such honest, faithful encouragment.

Blessings,
Tracy