Holiness is ... conforming to the character of God and obedience to the will of God. Jesus is our perfect example of holiness.
For most of my life, I have been a Christian - believing that Jesus died on the cross to save me from my sin's. But, I never really thought that He required very much out of me. Basically, I ignored Bible verses like:
Romans 8:13-14 For if you live by it's (your sinful nature's) dictates, you will die. But if through the power of the Spirit you put to death the deeds of your sinful nature, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
1 John 1:6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth.
1 Peter 2:21 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.
My husband and I just recently realized this need for holiness. A few months ago, he talked with one of our pastors about why Christians have such a struggle with sin. The pastor said that the reason we even struggle with this sin is because we are not pursuing holiness. If Christians would grow in holiness, then they would stop being a slave to their sinful nature.
That basic statement from Pastor Wayne motivated my husband to get the book and study guide - The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges. We've been learning about holiness together. There is verse after verse in the Bible telling us that growing in holiness is not an option for the Christian. If we are a Christian and Christ is Lord of our life, then we will need to pursue holiness.
Holiness in not an option for Christians.
We have a responsibility to pursue holiness and to live a holy life. We must obey and do our part to resist temptation and not sin. We are responsible for our sinful thoughts, attitudes, and actions. But we can not pursue holiness without the help and the strength of the God.
What God does for us concerning holiness:
- He delivers us from the reign of sin.
- He unites us with Christ.
- He has the Holy Spirit reveal our sin to us.
- He has the Holy Spirit give us a desire for holiness.
- He strengthens us as we fight sin and pursue holiness.
- Submit to God.
- Choose to stop sinning
- Avoid the temptation to sin.
- Accept the fact that we are responsible for out thoughts, attitudes, and actions.
- Pray and rely on the Holy Spirit to help us grow in holiness and point out our sins.
- Read the Bible to develop convictions about sin.
- Make a disciplined plan to read the Bible, think about it, and apply what it says.
- Fill our minds with good, pure, and praiseworthy things.
- Obey God's will for us.
- Not get discouraged over failures. Repent and keep going forward.
1 Thessalonians 4:7
1 Corinthians 1:2
2 Corinthians 5:17
1 John 3:2-5
2 Peter 3:14
2 Timothy 2:21
Holiness by Sonicflood