I've Got it Good

God Stop Friday Meme

About 5 minutes ago, I was sitting in front of the monitor with my head propped in my hands. My 12-year-old daughter came by and said, "What's wrong Mom? Can't you figure out what to write about?" I explained to her that I needed to write about how God had been showing Himself to me lately. I told her that I knew He had been working in my life, but I just couldn't see it. Lately, I've been concentrating on my discomforts - sick with colds and missing my husband who is still away at work.

She said to me:
  • Well, it's a good thing Dad is just working in a nearby town for a few weeks. Some wives have husbands who are off serving in Iraq and are gone for a long time.
  • And it's a good thing you just had 2 colds. You could have had pneumonia.
As soon as she said those words, I knew that God was showing Himself to me through that 12- year-old girl. I stood up - hugged her, my eyes teared, and I started laughing. I decided to think of some other things in my life that I should be more grateful for:
  • I get to eat protein foods and meat every day. Many people eat only grains and vegetables.
  • I have clean running water - in the house. I don't have to walk miles to get dirty water.
  • I was raised in a Christian family. My parents taught me about the salvation of Jesus.
  • I have heaters, blankets, and winter clothing if I need to warm up more. I won't freeze.
  • I have an endless supply of free Christian teachings, encouragement, music, and Bibles through the - Internet, radio, churches, and even the library. I don't live in a place where these items are scarce, limited, or non-existent.
  • If I come into really tough times financially, there are programs and resources available to help us out. We won't die of starvation like some families do.
  • I have complete freedom to live publicly as a Christian. I will not be persecuted for my Christian faith.
Thank you, Jesus, for all these blessings. And thank you for reminding me - through my daughter.

13 comments:

Shannon said...

Loved this post Shari. I appreciate the honesty in your writing and the spirit of gratitude- we could all use a healthy dose of that.

Susan Skitt said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow. What a beautiful little heart your daughter has. God's good :)

Angela Baylis said...

This is just the sweetest God Stop ever! I love when God speaks through other people and I LOVE when He chooses to speak through a child... 12 years old! I can tell you are a great Mom! Thank you for sharing this story with me this morning. I'm going to be thinking about this one all day long!

Much love,
Angie xoxo

Julie said...

Hi Shari,
It sounds like God uses both of our 12-year old daughters to speak to us! And I'm so grateful that He does.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. It's so nice to meet you.

FYI, today's high is 75 degrees...not a cloud in the sky!

Blessings,

Julie @ A Joyful Life

Patty said...

This was a great post! Your daughter is very smart! I loved your list! I am so blessed that we can worship God w/out worrying about being killed for going to church or even reading our Bibles in public! Praise God!
Thank you for sharing your GodStop with us!
Have a blessed and fun weekend!!

Priscilla said...

That is awesome to think about!!!!!

annette said...

I love your list and we all could write a book if we only went there! I also like the song Blessed Be Your Name--through it all, and praising Him! annie

Denise said...

I enjoyed your God stop moments, bless you dear.

Fran said...

Our children can be the best teachers sometimes huh?!

Thank you so much for sharing. We are so blessed and have much to be thankful for.

Have a wonderful weekend...
Fran

Joyce said...

Always amazes me when our KIDS teach us to "seek new perspective."
Funny.....by jove, I think they are "getting it."
Those were all great thoughts that you wrote....I'm grateful as well.
Hang in there......and....
Be blessed,
Joyce

A Stone Gatherer said...

Out of the mouth of babes! And some people think our children are just learning from us! Hum... I think we can learn from them as well! Great God Stop!

Margaret Braun said...

I was thinking about the same thing this morning. And I'm so thankful for indoor plumbing, that I don't have to go out to an outhouse at night in a -20 degree blizzard in Canada. How quickly we forget how good we have it.

Christine @ Serenity How? said...

That's just beautiful. I'd like to add one more thing to your list: you have a daughter you can be so proud of. :-)

We're so spoiled here and so very, very blessed.