As newborn babies we are born sinful, to sinful parents. The sin starts within us, and then we show it in outward acts. As Romans 3:12 says - "there is no one who does good, not even one." We may look pretty good to other people, but to God we are sinners. We are powerless to make ourselves look better to God. However, he comes to us, in our sinful condition -vulnerable, fragile and exposed. He wants to help us live, thrive, and grow. He wants to save us. That's why He sent Jesus, His son.
This is a picture of salvation found in Ezekiel 16:9-14
The Lord takes us and washes us - cleanses us of our sins.
The Lord anoints us with oil - anoints us with the Holy Spirit when we receive His salvation.
The Lord clothes us - to make us holy.
The Lord adorns us with jewelry - we bow in submission to serve Him.
The Lord crowns us - making us like royalty.
He says we are beautiful and made perfect in Him, not because of are own doing but because of what He has done for us. We can not do enough good things to earn forgiveness for being a sinner.
How to Receive Salvation from Jesus:
- Admit that you are a sinner and that you need Jesus to save you and forgive you.
- Believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the price for your sins.
- Ask Jesus to forgive you for sinning. Tell Him that you want to stop sinning.
- Invite Jesus to come into your life.
- Tell Jesus that you want to follow Him, trust Him, and serve Him.